permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Walled Communities

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Walled Communities
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 12:03:43 -0700

At 01:48 PM 7/2/03 -0500, miekal and wrote:
Generalizations like this frighten me. (...)

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 10:00 AM, Toby Hemenway wrote:

It's a sad fact that often (with notable exceptions) people without cash also don't have skills, experience, or sometimes the will to persevere, which are all useful to a community.

I fail to see how "often (with notable exceptions)" constitutes a "generalization." If he'd said "always" and not included the exception, or even if he'd said "It's a sad fact that people without cash...", *that* would be a generalization, as I understand the usage of the word.

FWIW, I have seen hard-working, skilled individuals without a pot to piss in who *can* live off their skills. I respect these people, and wish those who really do need more pictures of dead presidents could be compensated what they're worth.

I have also seen people who are really, most sincerely broke and without resources because they *have* no usable skills, have no social skills, and/or have the worst luck on the planet.

Unfortunately, people in that latter group are often the most vociferous about how they shouldn't be discriminated against because they have no assets, and the least willing to self-examine as to the possible causes of their situations.

Yes, Miekal, I used the word "often." That means I know there are exceptions, so it ain't a generalization either.

Build soil,

Loren

Loren Davidson Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
Loren's album & music info: http://www.lorendavidson.com
"In gentleness there is great strength." - Sun Bear