permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Scythes and similar devices

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Scythes and similar devices
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:56:24 -0400

Hi Sharon,

For the last year, I've been using a European style scythe from Scythe Supply in Perry, Maine. It's an amazing tool. I have two actually. I keep a short blade (20") on one for general brush and grass clearing, and a longer (32") blade for mowing soft grass and clover in a small field. I've literally parked the power mower.

They buy the blades from Europe, but make custom make their own Snaths to your measurements from local ash. Their package comes with a nice stone with holder. The scythe works best if you touch up the blade for a few seconds every 15 minutes or so to keep it razor sharp.

They also have other cutting implements and accessories.

http://www.scythesupply.com/index.html.

Good Luck,

Scott Vlaun