permaculture - [permaculture] lower consumption means....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] lower consumption means....
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:09:38 -0400

Russ Wrote:

My observation is that many people discount such a society because they take it to imply a reduction in their standard of living or a society characterised by a mild form of deprivation.

Exactly. Furthermore, simply suggesting that we all lower our consumption is itself another form of "easy. quick fix" to a deeper problem....

Perhaps the problem isn't (only and necessarily) our consumption, but ( also) how the consummables are made, packaged, shipped, and disposed of.... I am against having less, but who's against having more for less, better for longer ?

I believe this is where gov't must play a role ( and is the reason I got involved with the Green party) - laws that provide both a carrot and a stick - e.g eco-taxes and polluter pays....

I'm certain that the answers involve working at several scales - the millions of amateurs, the education of the masses, the intervention of gov't., and the redesign of industry...

Claude