permaculture - [permaculture] regional diets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Anne Schwarz" <thegrayhat@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] regional diets
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:53:53 +0000

John Schinnerer wrote:

For a while there may be a choice...and then, when we wake up with a
*really* nasty hangover from guzzling the *last* jug of our fossil fuel
mega-binge, there won't. We'll eat regionally sustainable diets or cease
to inhabit our region. Double order of camas bulbs, and buckwheat greens
on the side please, waiter... ;-)

The problem is, where do those people go? There are so many densly populated places that are not self sustainable. California provides much of the agriculture for the world, but a good portion of the southern part of it would have to be depopulated. What would we do with almost everybody in Los Angeles trying to transplant themselves for example? The central valley is already packed enough. In terms of food, it can probably support
the roughly 10 million people in L.A, but what about actual living space? How regional is regional?

Anne