permaculture - Re: [permaculture] regional diets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] regional diets
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:14:06 -0700

> From: "Anne Schwarz" <thegrayhat@hotmail.com>

> The problem is, where do those people go?

from John:
> In short, massive die-off.

This can get pretty scary to consider. Ruth Miller in Portland, Oregon
points to the sine wave pattern: if you look at a graph of population
growth, Voila! we are on the climbing side of the sine wave. Then comes the
leveling off, then the crash.
I don't think it's realistic to consider that we'll easily avoid this
pattern.

Can we deal with it without making it worse???????????

As Mollison points out, the cities serve as population sinks for the
countryside. Sort of like slug traps full of beer.

Salud!

-Rick