permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Canadian Thistle Eradication

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Canadian Thistle Eradication
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 05:57:31 EDT

Good day all:)

Like Claude G I'm considering using RoundUp to help control the thistles on
my pastures.

It's an aggressive plant that seems to grow quite well here in south central
KY.

At first I tried to control by simply mowing it down before it goes to seed.
But the underground roots just seem to spread even further. The underground
root system can be extensive, and usually there's a thick tap root, as well
as
many side roots that thicken with age; support more above ground growth etc.

Now I've been trying to pry up, and uproot same but it's hard labor when
there are literally a few hundred on these pastures.

I'm also wondering if there are some advantages to having some thistle in
your field. Do these roots mine the soil, increase aeration etc. I also see
earth
worms feeding on root systems.

Leaves and stalks are so prickly cattle avoid close contact and pass on
clovers nearby.

I'd appreciate your comments. Frank