permaculture - Re: [permaculture] regional diets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] regional diets
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:19:55 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> The problem is, where do those people go? There are so many densly
> populated places that are not self sustainable.

Well, if I were a wildlife biologist studying humans as a species I expect
I'd observe much the same consequences as for any other species that
massively overpopulates and crashes essential food systems beyond any
likelihood of near-term recovery.

In short, massive die-off.

The ironic part is that we are afaik the only species that can
'consciously' (whatever *that* means) limit our population...or can we?
Maybe that's just one of our myths about 'conscious choice'.

Whether we 'can' or not is at present moot, since as a species we're not
limiting our population to sustainable levels.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration