permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Canadian Thistle Eradication

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Canadian Thistle Eradication
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:25:25 -0400

Well, guilt and a timely reminder from John S. kept me from doing it !!

Let me share what I learned:

I went on line and did some research on "creeping Charlie" what I learned is that it is an unstoppable ground cover ( that part I knew!) and that it was magnificent at enriching the ground, and most importantly, that because it's shallow rooted, it's easy to claw back and plant into....

So, remembering to work with nature, I went back out to my garden beds, and began to see it as an ally - a good ol' soil protector ... this doesn't change the role/effects of the plant, but it surely does change me...

SO for now, I've clawed back the weed, planted into it extensively and we'll see....

Also, I want to begin a movement to rename Canada Thistle - "Freedom Thistle" - what do you think ?

Claude