permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Canadian Thistle Eradication

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Canadian Thistle Eradication
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:18:03 -0700

Funny, I was just kama-ing C-thistle last eve for a compost layer since the
flowers were budding up---

Hast tried turning hogs on it in the spring? I'd imagine the stolons?
rhizomes? would be delicious hog fodder, and it tends to associate with
Agropyron repens, Quack grass, which likewise likes hardpan and is superior
hog fodder.

The bloom is nectar rich.
Pure stands can be scythed (before seeding, por supuesto!) to make a
SUPERIOR compost.

My friends in BC told me it is called "California Thistle" ??

Reminds me of the story- farming neophytes on Orcas Is. had beaucoup thistle
on their land, and read that burros LOVE thistle. So they adopted a feral
burro from the non-native eradication program (when equids used to be native
in the N. Am. West and they are trying to re-establish the Condor and NEED
megafaunal carcasses- go figger!)
I digress- but OF COURSE they didn't have El Burrito until the thistles-
bull and Canada and native- had begun flowering, nor did they have a
rotational paddock system set up.
And burros LOVE thistles.

and seed them about quite effectively.

And they had the broadest tallest purest stand of well-spined thistle you
ever hope to see.

So they sold the land.

-Rick

spider web on the Ceanothus is a blue carpet of fallen blossoms
The spray plane harries the Christmas tree plantation like a horsefly
morning in the boonies