permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Books for Aussie Urban Foragers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Books for Aussie Urban Foragers
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:56:47 +1000

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 04:54 PM, Gaden@ziplip.com wrote:

Re: Russ Grayson's - There's two useful books for the urban forager: 'Wild Food Plants of Australia'(Tim Low, Angus & Robertson, Sydney, 1988, since reprinted) and 'Wild Herbs of Australia and New Zealand' (Tim Low, Angus & Robersons, 1985).
These are excellent books and well illustrated. Let's also not forget to pay homage to two other pioneers of Australian Bush Foods publications, Joan & Alan Cribb. From the early 70's they researched and documented bush food species and their uses. Together they have published a definitive series of books on native plants and their properties: Wild Food in Australia (1975, 1982, 1987), Useful Wild Plants in Australia (1981) and Wild Medicine in Australia (1981)

"The Bush Food Handbook" by Cherikoff & Isaacs (Ti Tree Press) is also a useful publication for Australian foragers.

You are right - I also have the Cribb's and Cherikoff titles and recommend them. I don't know if the Cribbs volumes are now out of print, though.

...Russ Grayson