permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ground source heat

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ground source heat
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:58:25 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

Kelly Finigan said:
>...when (realtively) lots of heat is taken out every
> heating season, the overall ground temperature (the heat store in this
> case) becomes depleted.
>
> Around here, this technology (ground source heat pump) has started not
> performing well after as little as two heating seasons....

Thanks for this...I have been wondering off and on about long-term effects
of large-scale and/or large area implementation of heat pump technology,
thinking sooner or later something like what you report would
surface...are there any published studies, etc. documenting this?

The systemic problems with heat pumps, deep ocean pumping or
sequestration, etc. are no different than the systemic problems with
"dilution is the solution to pollution" - the 'truth' of which depends on
the nature and/or quantity of pollution vs. the nature and/or quantity of
dilutant...

We've seen some examples of the consequences of perturbations in ocean
temperature/flows ('El Nino' phenomenon, for example) - I wonder what the
consequences of similar perturbations in the Earth's crust
temperature/flows might be?

TANSTAAFL... :-O

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -