permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Permaculture Apartment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Katherine Steele <kat@steelemoon.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture Apartment
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 22:22:40 -0700

Title: Re:  Permaculture Apartment
Hello Fellow Permies-

This info is mostly about food but there are some other gems on this site. Cardboard furniture http://www.journeytoforever.org/edu_cardboard.html#armchair and  my favorite is the Toyota Corolla Garden...they call it "creative conversion of parking places".
http://huizen.dds.nl/~autotuin/autogarten.html

~Kat Steele
Urban Permaculture Guild
Oakland, CA

http://www.journeytoforever.org/garden_con.html

No ground? Use containers

Bushbeans in a special square foot basket, light and easy to carry -- ideal for schools with no grounds to start gardening projects. You can grow plants in virtually anything that holds some soil and has holes in the bottom for drainage. It's only bounded by your imagination -- a chance for some really creative recycling.

We use old bathtubs, 20-litre plastic containers with the tops cut off, baskets of various sizes lined with garbage bags to hold the water in, milk cartons for seedlings, anything that comes to hand. We almost used some dumped toilet bowls, only we didn't like the color (pink).

-- "You can raise a surprising amount of food on your roof, deck, patio or windowsill. The rewards can be large, even if your space is small" -- Chuck Crandall and Barbara Crandall, "Movable Harvests"

Growing columns --  Grow a pillar of vegetables -- 12 square feet of growing area on only 1.2 sq ft of ground.  http://www.journeytoforever.org/edu_cardboard.html#column

Windowbox.com -- all the information and supplies you need to grow flowers, vegetables, and herbs in any container on your porch, deck, terrace, patio, or windowsill. Good resources and advice, expert-system answers plant questions, site search.
http://www.windowbox.com/

Harvesting sweet potatoes from a bathtub
GardenGuides' Container Gardening Guide Sheets are a useful source of instant information: 21 different guides. The two-page basic Guide to Container Gardening covers Choosing containers, Growing mixture, Sunlight, Fertilizer, Watering, What to grow? on the first page, while the second page deals with vegetables: common vegetables listed with type of container and recommended variety, linked to references on each vegetable covering types, conditions, maintenance and harvest, pests, recipes and useful links. The website has hundreds of other guides on all aspects of gardening, and further resources.
Guide to Container Gardening:
http://www.gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/container.htm
Guide to Container Gardening (Page 2):
http://www.gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/container2.htm