permaculture - [permaculture] lima beans

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "elijah smith" <elijahs@earthlink.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] lima beans
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:57:16 -1000

At a recent seed-swap gathering we got some cool beans, white with purple spots.  They shot out of the ground, covered my trellis in a matter of weeks, and are trailing out over the yard - yippee!  They're lima beans, the "Hilo Lima" variety.

Here's my question - why haven't they flowered yet?  Other bush beans in my garden - much smaller - have been planted later and are already giving up beans...  is it time-sensitive?   day-length?   I'm not much of a botanist, under it all.

Thanks!
  Elijah

  • [permaculture] lima beans, elijah smith, 06/11/2003