permaculture - RE: [permaculture] planting bamboo over septic field

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eugene F. Monaco" <efmonaco@comcast.net>
  • To: 'permaculture' <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] planting bamboo over septic field
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:35:45 -0500

Rick wrote:
>...Bamboo roots are at least as deep potentially as corn- which can go down
12 ft. Mike Brondi, on the flats along the Skagit with groundwater at 15ft.
finds that after 4-6 years he no longer has to irrigate a stand of bamboo.
So the roots go down 15 ft. there...<

This brings up another point, about dams:
I've always heard (haven't tried) that bamboo works well on the surface of
small dams because the roots don't go down that deep: that they form a mesh
reinforcing that holds things in place. Now we're hearing that they can go
12 to 15' deep. Does anybody envision a time bomb here? A dam break can be
a nasty thing.
-Gene

Eugene F. Monaco
www.knoxherbs.com