permaculture - [permaculture] planting bamboo over septic field

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Gorby" <steve_gorby@sd33.bc.ca>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] planting bamboo over septic field
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:28:28 -0800

I'd like to plant bamboo over the drain field of our septic system . In
"Gaia's Garden", Toby Hemenway mentions that roots clogging the pipes in the
leach field shouldn't be a problem because bamboo roots don't grow larger
over time like tree roots do.The bamboos I have are "phyllostachys vivax
huanwhenzhu" and "phyllostachys angusta (stone bamboo)", both running bamboos
that would be difficult to remove if there is a problem. The drainfield is
located in a pasture, perhaps 30 meters into pasture before the drainfield
starts.I'd fence the bamboo off so that grazing cattle would keep these
plants from becoming uncontrollable invaders.Any warnings or comments
regarding this idea would be appreciated. I live in southern BC,Canada,
about 100 km fom the ocean.