permaculture - RE: [permaculture] planting bamboo over septic field

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eugene F. Monaco" <efmonaco@comcast.net>
  • To: 'permaculture' <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] planting bamboo over septic field
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:18:14 -0500

Not to contradict bambooru Rick (from whom I purchased some of my own most
prized species), but don't be surprised if you end up with a clogged drain
field in 5 years. It might be easy enough to rip it up if you "have the
right tools and an understanding of bamboo's physiology;" but otherwise,
you'll have a job on your hands. Besides, who wants to rip up bamboo ever?
True, the roots might not grow larger over time, but you can get multiple
roots adjacent to each other just like spaghetti. That will most definitely
reduce the flow of effluent in your system by a whole lot. Moreover, it'll
rip your plastic pipe to shreds. It still might work because the roots
should form a mesh through which the effluent might flow well (if the soil
isn't too clayey). But, don't be surprised if it doesn't work out.
I love bamboo and I plant it everywhere it I can and places I probably
shouldn't, like next to this pond I built 2 years ago. I dug out a hole,
built up the berms down slope with some dirt I got from digging out a
basement, then lined it with a piece of EPDM I scrounged from a roofer
friend. I'd planted the bamboo near there two years earlier and it was just
starting to get a foothold. I was so proud of my bamboo overhanging the
pond; it looked so Zen. I don't know if you've ever destructively tested
EPDM, but you can't tear it, and it's tough as nails. Well, (you know
what's coming) the bamboo poked up a shoot right through it the next spring
but it died, then (I'm theorizing now) rotted and last week the pond drained
itself out just like someone unstopped a drain plug. I never thought this
would happen. Now I'm in the pond-patching business. Live and learn.
Gene Monaco
Knoxville, TN

Eugene F. Monaco
www.knoxherbs.com