permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Air quality.....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Air quality.....
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:23:37 -0600

At 12:03 PM 11/15/02 -0800, you wrote:
Wire the house using the 4 wire delta design. This should eliminate almost all rogue electricity in the place. Used commonly in hospitals and dairy farms for this reason.

Could you explain how this is done and the equipment involved?
Is this 4-wire system for 110vac or just 220vac?

Owner-builders want to know.
--
L.F.London

Well Larry I'll tell you what I know, which isn't much. You should be able to get 110v or 220v. The 4th wire is a second neutral line which allows the system to send excess current back to the main lines without using the ground wire. This keeps the electricity from scooting around looking for the easiest path through the earth to complete the circuit. The advantage is primarily that you avoid the possibility of "uncontrolled current", electricity where you don't want or expect it. As for how it's wired or other benefits, see a qualified electrician. You might do best contacting a firm that handles dairy farms, they do a lot of these.

lfl@intrex.net

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison