permaculture - [permaculture] Indian Water Catchment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: BK <lildragon@saber.net>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Indian Water Catchment
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:53:43 -0800

Hi folks,
I just saw a segment on a news show called "FocusAsia" about a man in India
helping bring water to dry farming communties. He got the villagers to build
2 dams (rocks and mortar (mud?) walls I believe, which were then filled with
rubble to control evaporation. The water tables are now raising, and people
who used to have to walk 30 km to get water can now get it from home.
Thought I'd pass on the story of water catchment. :-)

BTW-Thanks for the link to Auroville's website. I had read of Auroville in a
book called The Global Citizen, quite an inspiring story after Sept 11
depression, I didn't realize they had a website, and a pretty good one at
that. :-)

Cheers,
BK