permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Air quality.....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelly Finigan" <kfinigan@telus.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Air quality.....
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:47:45 -0700

IAQ:

some plants clean certain nasties from the air...Bill Wolverton has done
lots of work on this for NASA (confined air recirculating in space ships I
would think) and others. They really work - my sweetie put a few in her
newly renovated workplace and it helped a lot. Lots less electricity than
filters/purifiers...less EMFs too...from
http://www.zone10.com/wsdocs/tech/NASA/fyh.htm,

TOP 10 plants most effective in removing:

formaldehyde, benzene, and carbon monoxide from the air.

Common Name Scientific Name
Bamboo Palm Chamaedorea Seifritzii
Chinese Evergreen Aglaonema Modestum
English Ivy Hedera Helix
Gerbera Daisy Gerbera Jamesonii
Janet Craig Dracaena "Janet Craig"
Marginata Dracaena Marginata
Mass cane/Corn Plant Dracaena Massangeana
Mother-in-Law's Tongue Sansevieria Laurentii
Pot Mum Chrysantheium morifolium
Peace Lily Spathiphyllum "Mauna Loa"
Warneckii Dracaena "Warneckii"

EMFs;
1 minimise electricity gadgets;
2 avoid ones with transformers - the transformation process turns AC into
DC and sends off EMFs...especially avoid plug-in clock radios - bad EMFs and
most people put them right at their heads..also, cell phones;
3 avoid placing your favourite chair or bed (places you will be a lot)
adjacent where the electricity comes into the building. In our townhouse,
there is very measurable "field" about 1.5 ft thick and 4 ft wide inside the
house at this spot...this "zone" extends over all three stories at the same
spot.
4 TV and computer screens - they shoot cathode rays at your eyes (well,
actually through them, onto your cornea to form images)...laptop computers
are WAY!! better - liquid crystal display from which light is reflected to
your eye.

hope this helps,

Kelly

Kelly Finigan, M.Sc. P.Eng., Permaculture Designer
Essential Elements Inc.
744 - 4 Street NW Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1P2
1-403-283-7270 fax 283-9783 kfinigan@telus.net