permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Air quality.....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelly Finigan" <kfinigan@telus.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Air quality.....
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:52:24 -0700

> Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> Also I do not recommend embedding hot water lines in the contete floor
> for radiant slab heat. It is difficult to control and you end up fighting
wild
> swings in temperature; its hard to get it to be stable at the temperature
you
> want it to be. I could be wrong about this but this is the report I have
gotten
> from folks who tried it unsuccessfully. Maybe they didn't use the right
> equipment or install it right. Maybe consult with the guys at This Old
House;
> they seem to have a good handle on things; also read Fine Homebuilding on
this
> subject. I prefer at HS Tarm wood-fired boiler and Runtal how water
radiators
> or recycled cast iron ones.

what I've heard from the Bau-Biologie people is that in-slab heating (and
associated movement of water) leads to chronic foot and leg problems....they
now recommend heating lines in the lower portions of walls (near the ground
so heat still rises) instead. Supposed to alleviate the problem while still
using water heat from low in the house...

ciao,
Kelly