permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Re: Oxen

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Re: Oxen
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:09:20 -0600

We have also had quite a thread on raw milk on grazers edge, It is all archived if people are interested.

Midwest Ox Drovers Association and Tillers International are great sources
of information for folks who may have an interest in training working
steers & oxen.

Drew Conroy's "The Oxen Handbook" is a must-have for aspiring ox drovers.

The September 1993 issue of Smithsonian magazine also had a nice article on
oxen, with a pair featured prominently on the front cover.

Through the years, I've accumulated bits and pieces of info on training and
handling steers/oxen, including photocopies of abbreviated handbooks, less
complete than Conroy's, but quite interesting - one by Les Barden in
Rochester NY, and another, by an 80 yr old gentleman(whose name I've now
lost) who had spent a lifetime training and working steers/oxen(this may
also have been Mr. Barden - it's been so long, I've forgotten who sent the
info).

I'd always heard and read about oxen, but never saw one until I was a
senior in veterinary school, when we got in one half of a pair of Brown
SwissXSimmental oxen in from a logger in northern FL; I'd never before or
since, seen a 'cow' that tall - even bigger than any of the Chianina bulls
I later had to deal with. This old fellow had an LDA and had lost a
tremendous amount of body condition, but I'm certain he was quite
impressive in full working flesh.
I had a former client in southern middle TN who got me interested in oxen
- he had a pair of Brown Swiss; but as is the case with so many other
things, I just never have gotten around to starting a pair.
I keep meaning to visit the Land Between the Lakes '1850 Homeplace',
located not much more than a half-hour from me, and visit with the fellow
there who's in charge of their team of oxen, but I've just never made the
time to do so.

Keep those ox tales and info coming...

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

Since time is important, please reduce the number of lines from previous posts you reply to, and use an accurate subject line.
Post message: grazersedge@egroups.com
Subscribe: grazersedge-subscribe@egroups.com
Our homepage: http://www.egroups.com/group/grazersedge