permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Air quality.....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Air quality.....
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 01:24:10 -0800

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
Claude William Genest wrote:

I may be living in a brand-new conventionally built house next year that
will be chock full of off-gassing toxins....

Also, is there a way to lessen electro-magnetic radiation within a hi-tech
"wired" house ?

I forgot to specify that all electrical wiring and plumbing (hot water for heat/radiators) and domestic hot and cold water, telephone/cable TV/modem
wiring should go in wooden, or metal chases at floor level along the bases of walls. You could use the type of electrical wire that Scott recommended.

Also I do not recommend embedding hot water lines in the contete floor
for radiant slab heat. It is difficult to control and you end up fighting wild swings in temperature; its hard to get it to be stable at the temperature you want it to be. I could be wrong about this but this is the report I have gotten
from folks who tried it unsuccessfully. Maybe they didn't use the right equipment or install it right. Maybe consult with the guys at This Old House;
they seem to have a good handle on things; also read Fine Homebuilding on this subject. I prefer at HS Tarm wood-fired boiler and Runtal how water radiators
or recycled cast iron ones.

Redesign the house from scratch, less basic interior design needs.

I assume you'd like energy efficiency as well as interior air as free of toxins as possible. With this in mind I'd recommend the following:

After laying a perimeter ledge of Hebel block (+ foamboard within) on top of the first or "foundation" slab you pour your final interior slab/floor and put a glasslike finish on it. This can be scored,

This should be 6000 psi indoor concrete with rebar and welded wire reinforcing and no fiberglass (unless you plan to completely cover the concrete with something else.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net