permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fuel reduction in Western forests

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fuel reduction in Western forests
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:51:32 -0500

Rick,

Yikes, permaculturalists to the rescue! Didn't read the whole article, but
this is exactly the sort of issue that is a driving force for woody brush
"control."

It may be up to folks like us to come up with better solutions. I think
without the large fauna we are going to continue experiencing a biomass
crisis.

Animals, however, are a liability too. As we speak, the deer are being
slaughtered in Wisconsin because of a strange brain disease. What will be
the result of that? Over grown, fire prone woodlands that we must manage
chemically too?

Kirby Fry