permaculture - Re: [permaculture] !!Can anyone ID this vine?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] !!Can anyone ID this vine?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 23:16:28 -0700

mIEKAL aND wrote:
Yikes, I sure missed the boat on this one. Kevin had it right, the vine is
most likely Clematis virginiana, from the buttercup family & what I
thought was flowers is actually some long hairs frizzing out of the
seedpods. I like the feel of this plant a lot, hanging down from the
branches of the sumac patch. Creates an effect similar to that of spanish
moss which of course does not grow here in southwest WISCONSIN. This plant
tells me its a natural fit for the our nut gardens. Being a poet, the
thing I find most fascinating is the seeming irony to the different common
names I ran across, Virgin's Bower, Old Man's Beard & Medusa Head.
Here are good pix of clematis virginiana:
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/clematisvirg.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/vines/clematis_virginiana.html

At first glance it resembled Fringe Tree, chionanthus virginicus, a small
native tree
that you occasionally find in this part of NC (Zone 7), beautiful flowers,
nice scent;
it is often found at the edges of fields. For more info see:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/chionanthus_virginicus.html
It is also called Old Man's Beard in this page.
also:
http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/chionan.cfm
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/c/chivir/chivir1.html

--