permaculture - RE: [permaculture] !!Can anyone ID this vine?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin email" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] !!Can anyone ID this vine?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 22:47:41 -0500

Dear Miekal,

Thanks for the kind words. And Lawrence, thanks for the pictures. This kind
of clematis grows wild on fences across the South (U.S.) and especially here
in Texas. It looks like this in late summer and very early fall. In North
Carolina you get cultivated clematis with HUGE flowers, really pretty. Years
ago I had a guild of wild clematis, smaller leaves and flowers, and coral
vine growing up a weed mimosa tree. You could stand in one spot and pick 100
snails from under the clematis leaves after a rain. I would feed the
chickens the snails and they loved it. I miss them all, may they rest in
peace.

Kevin