permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond Clean Up/PC Scale

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond Clean Up/PC Scale
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 06:52:15 EDT

Good day:)

In a message dated 9/16/02 11:49:33 AM, loren@farwalker.com writes:

<< Maybe a better solution would be to have fewer cattle, so that you don't
have the pressure to convert space that could be performing other useful
functions into additional pasture? >>

Hi, Loren always good to hear from you.

Good point...except in order to make cattle profitable enough to produce
$10-$20K I need to actually increase numbers to where I can sell calves by
the load...50,000 LB live weight. Of course it would be possible IF you could
partner with a few like minded cattle folks, but that's not easy. Folks are
pretty independent. And being a "furiner" local speak for "foreigner" makes
it so much tougher.

Plus I need livestock to keep the fields grazed...else weeds would soon
reclaim them. In fact when I first bought the place I could not get down here
for a few months. Weeds and briars had already taken over large areas. Since
I use no chemicals I rely on livestock, bush hogging, and hand cutting. It's
a never ending job:) But I've made progress:)

Believe me when I first came down here I had no intention of becoming a
cattle man:)

I spend a lot of time with the cattle...and am enjoying it. But there are
always unexpected problems that seem to require attention at the worst of
times:)

See ya! Frank

See ya!