permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond Clean Up/PC Scale

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond Clean Up/PC Scale
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:32:42 -0400

> From the base of the hills there is very little slope ...probably less than
> 5' in a 1000'

More than enough

> Tight, hard clay mineral soils with only 3-4" of top soil. Like concrete
> when
> dry, like molding clay when wet.

Frank, I love John's idea of pulling those little ponds into elongated
swales. If clay's the deal, work with it by planting a deep rooted annual
crop ( daikon, alfalfa) and follow up with tree planting - poplar, willow (
Not sure of the nutritional value of willow, there was a post on that
recently, but poplar, according to the USDA has "twice the feed value of
clover, honeysuckle" and a third plant I can't remember off-hand.

> John, I'm having a problem getting enough pasture for my cattle as it is.
> I'm
> thinking of clearing (over time) more land for pasture so that I have enough
> good forage for my cattle.

See above