permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond Clean Up/PC Scale

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond Clean Up/PC Scale
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 06:33:24 EDT

Good day,

In a message dated 9/16/02 9:38:39 AM, genest@together.net writes:

<< I love John's idea of pulling those little ponds into elongated
swales. >>

Claude...These are not little ponds...just wet, soggy areas after rains.
Further, they are NOT contiguous. The amount of dirt you'd have to move, and
then the re seeding of the torn up areas preclude these kind of ideas.
Remember I already have a major labor problem:)

<<If clay's the deal, work with it by planting a deep rooted annualcrop (
daikon, alfalfa)>>
Too wet for alfalfa. Don't know much about daikon. Will cattle eat it?

<< follow up with tree planting - poplar, willow (
Not sure of the nutritional value of willow, there was a post on that
recently, but poplar, according to the USDA has "twice the feed value of
clover, honeysuckle">>

Claude, there are already a number of volunteer red cedar, sycamore,sour gums
etc. in these pasture fields. These make it difficult to get around for bush
hogging etc. My neighbor advised me to cut them all down. But I'm reluctant.

Also I imagine you are talking about "poplar" leaves. How can the cattle
harvest them?

I really need the lists' help in weeding out PC ideas that are sound in
principle but not very practical on a large scale with limited $$$ and labor.

I'd love to implement a holistic, practical, yet affordable PC design on my
farm.
In some respects I'm making progress, but for me plans are far too broad, and
general. They lack the detail, practical evaluations that are so
critical...especially since there are so many options:)

Thanks to all for listening, and sharing your thoughts, and experiences.
Frank