permaculture - Re: [permaculture] DifferentlyAbledPlants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] DifferentlyAbledPlants
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:28:15 -0500

At 10:13 AM 9/11/02 -0700, you wrote:
Yea, I keep hearing this "wrong plant in the wrong place" stuff. I also think that Mother Nature isn't all that stupid: those plants are EXACTLY in the right place from an ecological point of view. It just doesn't suit our purposes, so we continue to force our way until eventually the soil just gives out. "Weeds" are great soil builders, usually replenishing the soil with exactly the nutrients that ahave been depleted. So what then is the point in eradicating these weeds? We should have a category on "weeds" in the database, together with all the useful information we know about them...
Heide

Just think of tillage, grazing and mowing as shredding and incorporation of weed biomass. Limit your other control methods (fire and poison) to the minimum and be lazy enough to maintain the weed seed bank and don't loose much sleep worrying about weeds.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK