permaculture - Re: [permaculture] DifferentlyAbledPlants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Heide Hermary <heidehermary@pacificcoast.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] DifferentlyAbledPlants
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:13:47 -0700

Yea, I keep hearing this "wrong plant in the wrong place" stuff. I also think that Mother Nature isn't all that stupid: those plants are EXACTLY in the right place from an ecological point of view. It just doesn't suit our purposes, so we continue to force our way until eventually the soil just gives out. "Weeds" are great soil builders, usually replenishing the soil with exactly the nutrients that ahave been depleted. So what then is the point in eradicating these weeds? We should have a category on "weeds" in the database, together with all the useful information we know about them...
Heide

Kirby Fry wrote:

Hola mIEKAL,

Ive found over the years that as soon as the word [WEED] comes out of

someone's mouth, they no longer are opening to creating a relationship with
that plant which fosters a co-creative interchange <<

Too true. Saying, "That plant is a weed," is like saying, "That plant is my
enemy and I have an excuse to kill it."

The local ag agents say a weed is the wrong plant in the wrong place at the
wrong time.

However, there are some examples to the contrary, Scooter Cheetham here in
Texas holds a 'weed feed' where he teaches folks how to harvest and eat weed
(a.k.a. wild plants).

Kirby