permaculture - Re: [permaculture] "thirsty " trees....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: CHINAGRVE@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] "thirsty " trees....
  • Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 00:10:50 -0400

I just joined the group. I have 40 acres of land in Abo near Mountainair, NM
- juniper, pinyon, cactus rocky land. The forest service is always telling
us that if we cut down our juniper it would help retain water on the land.
This did not really make sense to me so I was glad to read your post Kirby.
Because of the low rainfall, some areas near me where they have cleared the
juniper are just parched earth.

Where my house sits if I dig one foot down I hit a limestone shelf. Any
suggestions for plantings and soil improvement would help. The soil under
the trees is pretty good but otherwise its pretty bad so I've just been
planting wildflowers under the trees.

Marilyn