permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Pressure/Weight guage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, midwestpermaculture@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Pressure/Weight guage
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:22:58 -0500

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:13:56 -0400
From: Lance Johnson <johnson@ncats.net>
Subject: Re: [grazersedge] Pressure/Weight guage
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

> So here goes! What kind of pressure gauge...brand, PSI range, whatever
> details I need to buy the right kind.

Get one that will read the full range of pressure that your loader can
develop. Most hydraulics can generate 2000 - 2500 psi, and pressure could
get higher, such as when you hit that big woodchuck hole with a silage bale
on the front. I think up to 3000-4000 psi on the gauge would be OK. The
licquid filled gauges are the longest lived ones. Places like Northern
Hydraulics and Surplus Center sell gauges like that for under $50. A nice
big 3 or 4" diameter one would be best.

> Next...what do you mean by plumbing?? a pressure gauge into the lift
> cylinders???

Find a hose or tubing that puts oil into the lift cylinders when you raise
the loader. Take apart a fitting on it and find a tee that will let you
connect a hose from the gauge to the tee. The tee will connect the lift hose
to your gauge. Any implement dealer should have hydraulic tees and hoses
that will let you hook up a gauge. They may even have the gauge.

> I like the idea about mounting it where it can be seen, and using a
pressure
> tube???
> And what is a tee in the lift cylinder??

The pressure tube is just a hose that will let the gauge read cylinder
pressure from a different location. You could put the gauge right on the
cylinder, but it would be harder to read there.

> Chad...what's your $40 solution. I understand the calibration needs.
>
> <<PS. Use care when lifting minivans with bale spears.>> ROFL
>
> See ya! Frank
>

> Since time is important, please reduce the number of lines from previous
posts you reply to, and use an accurate subject line.
> Post message: grazersedge@egroups.com
> Subscribe: grazersedge-subscribe@egroups.com
> Our homepage: http://www.egroups.com/group/grazersedge

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now