permaculture - Re: [permaculture] DifferentlyAbledPlants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] DifferentlyAbledPlants
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:54:11 -0500

At 11:38 AM 9/8/02 -0500, you wrote:

DifferentlyAbledPlants

This is a very good example of why our English language fails us. Ive found
over the years that as soon as the word [WEED] comes out of someones mouth, they
no longer are opening to creating a relationship with that plant

I would say it then fall into a category, like "livestock" or "domesticated plants". Not all the elements in such category get treated the same. Purslane is a weed to me, does not stop me from adding it to most of the stuff i can for the thickening agents and good fatty acids it has.

which fosters a
co-creative interchange, but instead it becomes an aggressor, an alien, an
invasive & thinking & responses to such plants becomes very right-brained. (Of
course, my tongue-in-cheek labeling of plants as DifferentlyAbledPlants reflects
how PC (as in politically correct) society encodes people who are not the norm)
[mIEKAL]

As far as I can tell weeds are about a quarter to half the norm (biomass). Obviously there is neither the time or motivation out there to manage them all. Like other aspects of PC implementation they must be considered, understood but not necessarily acted upon.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/DifferentlyAbledPlants