permaculture - Re: [permaculture] DifferentlyAbledPlants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] DifferentlyAbledPlants
  • Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 22:32:31 -0500

mIEKAL aND wrote:
DifferentlyAbledPlants

This is a very good example of why our English language fails us. Ive found
over the years that as soon as the word [WEED] comes out of someones mouth,
they
no longer are opening to creating a relationship with that plant which
fosters a
co-creative interchange, but instead it becomes an aggressor, an alien, an
invasive & thinking & responses to such plants becomes very right-brained. (Of
course, my tongue-in-cheek labeling of plants as DifferentlyAbledPlants
reflects
how PC (as in politically correct) society encodes people who are not the
norm)
[mIEKAL]

I would admit that there may be something to that in general mindsets. But working with noxious invasives and seeing large expanses of formerly native veg choked out because a property owner let something they found "pretty" get away, also tends to color my perspective. That and millions of dollars spent on eradication by governments, NGOs, and private folks seems to be a colossal waste to me as I figure that money could be used to better sustainable research.

Let's say that plant species "X" is a noxious invader, but you grow a handful of them and are able to prevent spread and use the plant. What happens when you pass on? Will the inheritants of that land know that they need to reign in a potential scourge? And really, if a plant has already proven itself to be a serious risk, why not find a more appropriate native (preferably) or even nonnative that doesn't have those qualities but still fulfills the need? Avoiding a serious problem always requires less energy and resources than dealing with the aftermath.