permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A permaculture Wiki

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lfl@intrex.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A permaculture Wiki
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:06:47 -0700

Graham Burnett wrote:
Hi-

at the wikipedia I've added bits on Permaculture
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture (cribbed from the intro to the UK
asscoiation's site- could be expanded on but at least it's a start...)

also Fukuoka http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka
(from patrick whitefield's 'Permaculture in a nutshell'- I've just emailed
him to check he doesn't mind...)

How does one get in touch with Fukuoka?

and
propogating fruit trees/rootstocks for fruit trees
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_tree_propagation

It's great fun once you get the hang of it and the 'wikipedia militia'
(guardians against trolls, spammers, etc) seem very helpful &
accomodating...

Looking forward to the permaculture wiki...

Graham:

The wikipedia already has a subset Agriculture wiki and there ought to be a Permaculture entry in that.

I had in mind a single wiki, separate from wikipedia dedicated to permaculture, which as an umbrella discipline, encompasses all of agriculture, alternative architecture, appropriate technology, renewable energy and social systems/spiritual awareness. Scott Pittman introduced me to this view of Permaculture; maybe he could offer more insights on this. This wiki would be run on ibiblio, not some other server, unless someone wants to set uone up elsewhere. I am leaning toward phpwiki
which I may have to set up in my own account, otherwise would be run by ibiblio.

I hope you've save some of your energy for the Permaculture Wiki.
There'd be nothing wrong with doing it in wikipedia but I had in mind us doing our own so we will have some control over its fate, and to a certain degree, its development (we can login/password protect areas
we might not want anonymous users to have access to).

BTW what's the origin of 'wiki'? at first I thought it was some pagan thing
to do with wicca or somesuch, hope LL can enlighten us???

a wickiup is a primitive dwelling, don't know if there is any connection

A wiccapedia might be interesting, perhaps a wiccawiki

........ dirtfarmer out

--
lfl@intrex.net
http://market-farming.com