permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Murphy" <mmurphy@ctsl.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:58:49 -0700

This is just a matter of definition. "Industrial ag" commonly means
monoculture, chemical fertilizers, herbicides and so on. IF you mean
"mainstream ag" moving our way, I completely agree with you, but we have
to show them that multicropping perennials and organic farming gives
them a higher net profit per acre over the life cycle of their farm than
what they are doing. That includes methods of harvesting, on-farm
processing to capture more value and creating brand/label demand for
higher quality food.

About which, I am becoming a brixaholic and need a healing. Does anyone
else think high brix = better food = better soils, and brix is the magic
number that can distinguish the organic farmers market produce from the
supermarket? If we could charge more for high brix food because it
tastes better and is better for you, it would be easier to move
mainstream ag.

Or am I just grabbing the easy (wrong?) solution to a complex social
problem?