permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 02 09:42:42 -0000

>Why do you need the extra aeration? >>
>
>Robyn...those ponds are fed by surface water only , and are now used by beef
>cattle for water, cooling dip etc.
>They are brownish colored, soup. I really want to fence them off ...water
>cattle from troughs etc. I'd love to see bluish green color, a little
>clarity
>in water. Any ideas?
The beautiful bluish green colour of water is from sky reflection,
especially in larger bodies of water - seldom a feature of small farm
dams with an earth bottom. I'd guess that most of your turbidity would be
from the cattle disturbing the bottom. With the cattle fenced off and a
well vegetated edge the water will clarify somewhat, if a high level of
turbidity persists you can add gypsum to help clarify the water 100kg per
acre (preciptates the suspended particles & they sink to the bottom). If
you plant some water lillies you'll have a beautiful surface and some
predator protection for when you introduce your fish and the water
surface colour won't be so important.
Aeration could result in greater turbidity levels.
Also take a good look at the catchment as to any disturbed soil, erosion
etc that might also contribute to the problem.
Robyn