permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Exotic Plant Eradication - Holmgren

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Exotic Plant Eradication - Holmgren
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:32:12 -0400

Mark Wrote : OK, once you have them figured out can we wack um down?

Claude replies: I took a one year biodynamic course this year Mark, and my
teacher there at the Pfeiffer institute makes the good point that since man
made the mess, clearly man needs to be involved in cleaning it up - We ARE a
part of nature after all, so yes, our intervention is integral to the whole
regeneration process - That being said, I notice that most "conservation"
efforts focus mostly on whackin' and much less on planting - so, if the
invasive species has already proven itself to outcompete that which
surrounds it, how will whackin' um down change that but for the shortest of
times ? Unless you plant something better suited to the (altered and
regenerating) land, you will inevitably find yourself with the same problem,
no ?

Secondly, there is the notion of succession - what we perceive in our short
life spans to be something "taking over" is in fact, in the longer term, but
a temporary "invasion" to "colonise" and prepare the land for the next wave
of "winners" - In other words, that invasive species is exactly what that
land needs at that time to repair itself..... We can ACCELERATE succession,
but we can't possibly hope to bypass it...

Lastly, I notice that you chose to ignore my assertion that nature really is
much smarter than us - that she doesn't make mistakes...... IMHO there are
countless examples of man's interpretations of what should or shouldn't live
backfiring, and no examples that I can think of, of nature making the wrong
choice.....

But then aagin, who knows, maybe you are that one in a billion ? ;-)