permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Exotic Plant Eradication - Holmgren

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Exotic Plant Eradication - Holmgren
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:22:29 -0500

At 08:49 PM 8/13/02 -0400, you wrote:
Anyway, for another perspective on the debate, check out the Holmgren
article I attached - he talks of "ecosynthesis" - very interesting and very
much in keeping with the Gaia theory ( not that we shouldn't and indeed
mustn't sometimes chop and drop Mark, just that we should observe the hell
out of it first - for more on that perspaective, please read Mollison's
inspiration - Mansanobu Fukuoka's "One Straw Revolution" - Nature really is
much smarter than us you know...)

Claude Genest

I do not doubt that given time to adapt to new species invasion most landscapes can reach a good equilibrium. However the current situation where the pesky monkey people move dozens of new species into the ecosystem and then provide boats, farm machinery, fish hatchery, botanical gardens etc to spread them around is simply overwhelming the potential for adapting. Like all weed management there is a place for restraint, but there is no where near enough effort being made to intervene in places where the situation is clear. Small invasions are tolerated until they balloon into massive problems. I have seen it many times. Ya'll don't have to be chain saw wielders if you don't want to, your all free people, I'm a libertarian, do what you will. Don't expect me to just let pass this balderdash that weeds aren't really a problem.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK