permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Exotic Plant Eradication - Holmgren

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Exotic Plant Eradication - Holmgren
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:21:32 -0400

One man's weed is another man's savior ( like the red clover of Vt. I
mentioned).... Dismissing all exotics as mere "weeds" sounds like the modern
geneticist who dismisses 95 % of our genetic code just because they can't
see what it does (the tonsils/appendix of our day).

Until one knows what role the "invader" is playing ecologically, then to
try and eradicate them just because they're out-competing natives seems like
a knee-jerk "gotta do SOMETHING" reaction.

Besides, if they're out-competing natives, it's likely because the
conditions in which the natives thrived have been altered, and guess who
altered them ?
Like the Zen Master says "don't just do something, sit there !"