permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pond aerators

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pond aerators
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 07:12:16 EDT

G,Day Robin; everybody:)
In a message dated 8/13/02 7:11:34 PM, permed@nor.com.au writes:

<< A healthy pond will support a nice stock of fish for home
consumption with no extra input at the natural stocking rate of the water
body - rule of thumb is 1 kg of fish for every 15m of linear edge (drives
the food chain) and 15 square m of surface area (oxygen for fish to
breath). >>

Hmmm...my concern is that the pond may not be healthy. The water is quite
turbid, fills only with surface water, is fairly stagnant, and used by
cattle. Seem to a good number of frogs, and a blue heron can normally be seen
at certain times...normally when cattle etc. are elsewhere:)

The pond is a half acre + with 600'or so of linear edge. IF the pond were
healthy how many fish would that support? At one time the pond's dam was
breached, and it was draining out...creating a really impressive gully in a
hurry...despite efforts to patch leak, which continued to expand. Had to
build up banks a few feet, and then installed 2' overflow drain. Lots of
earthwork! Saw only one tiny 3" fish flop out. Very little algae, or other
surface weeds, etc. At times there are small brown films of scum in some
areas when it is hot. For the most part the water is just a soupy brown
color. Cattle don't seem to mind though...and have been relatively healthy.
Although this year for the first time we had a severe outbreak of "pinkeye."

As always...look forward to your comments. Frank

I know fish NEED sufficient oxygen...don't know if pond levels are
appropriate. Hence my questions on aeration.