permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] a grazing case

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] a grazing case
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:57:31 -0500

Thought id send this along, illustrates the use of c-3 and c-4 grasses (maize is C4) and some of the challenges climate can present.
Mark

Hello all,

Another rainy day. We have had hardly a 10 day stretch without rain all
summer. I know some of you are groaning as you read this, but the rain has
presented us with some real challenges. We still have about 20 acres of
FIRST cutting hay to bale yet. It doesn't stop raining long enough to let us
get it done. I've got lots and lots of hay, but none of it really good
quality. The wet spring really slowed the start of the corn, and with so
much rain, the fields were real challenge to get fertilized and sprayed on
time. Some corn is doing real well, some of it will barely make silage
because of the weed pressure. Weeds like to be watered too, and some of our
spray was diluted by Mother Nature and didn't have quite the effect we had
hoped for.

The rain problems are doubly frustrating as we are also trying to get
started building our swing parlor. We should have been long done with both
first and second cuttings by now and I don't even want to think how many
acres of second cutting there are. Believe me, I do know what a drought is,
as we went nine weeks without rain just last summer when everything was
burnt to a crisp.

On the plus side, the Green Spirit annual ryegrass has been grazed four
times since it was planted in May and looks better each time. Pasture have
held up great and we grazed two weeks into what is normally our summer
slump. We are now into the grazing corn and the cows love it. They took
quite a jump in milk when they got into the corn -better than 6-8lbs I'm
sure. I've never seen that kind of increase when in the corn. The only
variable would be the variety- Jung's HDS89RR and HDS102.
The fertilizer and spray were the same as the last four years I've grown
grazing corn.

David McCartney
Coleman MI

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now