permaculture - Re: Grasshopper control.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jack Rowe <jackrowe@compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Grasshopper control.
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 21:52:52 -0500

To add to what Vicki reported about turkeys, not only do they not tear the
garden up as much as do chickens, but they'll eat adult grasshoppers that
the chickens turn their noses up at (too hard for a mere chicken to wrestle
a full-sized Leander grasshopper to the ground, I suspect). The Nosema
locusta (nematodes, I believe) also work well, around here (central Texas,
30 - 31 degrees north) you first put it out in February on moist vegetation
(after a rain or in morning's dew). Also, mowing a wide swath (say, 30 to
50 yards) around garden areas cuts down on the hoppers greatly by getting
rid of cover.

When the kids were small, we used to let them ride the grasshoppers, it's a
lot of fun. Gotta watch those back legs, though!

Jack