permaculture - Re: Grasshopper control.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bobbi Chukran <chukran@io.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Grasshopper control.
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 14:11:13 -0600

V wrote:

<They do a remarkable job, though, of
>controlling the hoppers, and though not the most brilliant thinkers (!) are
>very nice to have around..at least until the toms get older and very fiesty.
>My kids handled them alot and just walk around with a little turkey under
>their arm. The birds eagerly run out to the gardens in the morning and start
>pecking away and willingly herd back into the shelter at night.>

That's an interesting story. You know, though, even with all the
grasshoppers out here, our garden was still relatively OK. We've eaten
from it all year--just pick out the leaves with holes in them. I must be
doing something right! VBG

Turkeys, huh? Hmmm. . . That's a thought. But we still have wild turkeys
around here (really BIG suckers). Are the domesticated birds going to harm
the wild ones in anyway as long as they are penned up?

How big do these turkeys get? My fenced-in area isn't that big--are there
smaller varieties? The ones I've seen are pretty big. And I'm assuming
they don't fly really high. . .Could they get out of a 7-ft. fence? Are
they smart enough to duck low-flying hawks?

Bobbi C.