permaculture - Re: comfrey tendencies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: YankeePerm@aol.com
  • To: dtv@mwt.net, owner-permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu, permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: comfrey tendencies
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 11:04:25 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/10/97 5:06:37 AM, dtv@mwt.net (Miekal And) wrote:

>For anyone in the know,
>
>I'm wondering about the extent of the invasive tendencies with comfrey
>in a zone 2-3 situation. I'd like to use it as living and cut mulch and
>have heard mention of people interspersing it all over in close to the
>dwelling forest gardens. am confident about safe use of it as a lower
>story in orchards. but i'd like to try it closer in, among our expanse
>of beds (annuals and perrenials) that were planted in a field of quack
>grass - to define the beds and pathways, and to start filling in
>against the quack and thistles.
>Anyone with helpful speculation about comfrey as a mulch plant or border
>definer in a water abundant zone 4 situation please respond.
>
>cheers
>
>hether

Comfrey is not invasive unless you rototill it. In that case you will ge a
zillion little comfrey plant as each root piece develops leaves and makes a
new clone. To limit or eliminate comfrey, use sheet mulch--probably
something that persists a while. In zone 2-3, the cool climate sufficies to
make even a few layers of cardboard adequate for that. Where I live, now, in
Florida, cardboard goes quickly and so we need to replace it promptly or use
something like rugs (mostly made of synthetics nowadays) to temporaily mulch
out the area until the comfrey gives up the ghost.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email. Next starts in Oct. 1997. Internships available.
Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.