permaculture - Re: comfrey tendencies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@sonic.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: comfrey tendencies
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:56:02 -0700

Miekal And wrote:

> thanks to you all that have had suggestions about comfrey
>
> a point of clarification - i'm in Wisonsin szone 4 (first snowshower of
> the season last night!) and the site zone i'm putting the comfrey in is
> either 2 or 3. We've just planted a bunch in our nut orchard which right
> now is a field of grasses with the trees poking out above. Did a range
> with proximity to the trees, some close in (2-3 ft)on the edge of the
> surrounding mulch, then the rest further away as landmark or space
> fillers. We just heeled em in - ave. 3in root portions from a vibrant 5
> yr old patch. see if they make it up thru the sod come spring.
> -hether-

Hether,
"If they make it up"???? I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they can
thrive from Michigan to Maine (even Siberia I've heard)they'll come thru
for you. The better time of the year to propagate is early spring just
before they emerge. I've had outstanding success with propagules only 1
inch long (1/4in. diam. min.) laid on edge in flats. It doesn't take
much. Although it's said that they produce seed very seldom, mine did
once in Detroit and the flowers were a deep pink. I wish I had some
seeds from it.

--
Keith
keithdj@sonic.net