permaculture - Re: comfrey tendencies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: YankeePerm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: comfrey tendencies
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:05:32 -0400 (EDT)

>thanks to you all that have had suggestions about comfrey
>
>a point of clarification - i'm in Wisonsin szone 4 (first snowshower of
>the season last night!) and the site zone i'm putting the comfrey in is
>either 2 or 3. We've just planted a bunch in our nut orchard which right
>now is a field of grasses with the trees poking out above. Did a range
>with proximity to the trees, some close in (2-3 ft)on the edge of the
>surrounding mulch, then the rst further away as landfmark or space
>fillers. We just heeled em in - ave. 3in root portions from a vibrant 5
>yr old patch. see if they make it up thru the sod come spring.
>-hether-

Maybe in a few years you will post or publish (consider our Journal) how the
trees fare with comfrey competition. There are a lot of unsubstantiated
claims that it doesn't compete with trees but it sure fights a losing battle
with our sabal palms, mainly moisture competition. Around fruit trees, I'd
mow the comfrey close to the ground in dry years. This should limit the
mosture it requires for transpiration. Meanwhile, we need someone to really
and truely see if comfrey benefits fruit and nut trees as people are guessing
it does.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email. Next starts in Oct. 1997. Internships available.
Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.