permaculture - Re: comfrey tendencies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: blissv@nmhu.campus.mci.net
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: comfrey tendencies
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 18:58:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Hether,
Interesting timing on your post as just today I was cutting huge leaves of
comfrey and masses of them... some steeping in olive oil as an ingredient
for soap and the rest layering on the garden or into compost. I'm in a dry
zone 3-4 and 3 years ago planted lots of root section cuttings on the outer
edges of the vegetable garden to act as a foil for grasshoppers which didn't
do much at all the 'year of the grasshoppers' and since, when just a few
marauders come through, has done fairly well by attracting the hoppers first
(they do seem to love and go for the comfrey).

When I was living in the Pacific NW, comfrey would spread like crazy. With
the moisture and mild climate there, it was difficult to eradicate once it
began to take over. Here, where it is drier, it spreads less though the
plants do get *gigantic*. I would allow PLENTY of space for them to spawl
in all directions. It is this sprawling habit that would make for its
excellence as a living mulch. I cut them back 3-4 times a growing season to
use in compost or as a cut mulch material as well as soap ingredient. I
would suggest you be pretty conservative in your use of it close into
vegetable and flower beds or anywhere you are trying to establish delineated
borders or pathways. Perhaps try just one or two first and see how they do
in your particular environment. I would certainly use them sparingly in a
hedge type of arrangement bordering beds..They would be creating shade and
competing for space before you know it, especially since I just noticed you
mentioned abundant water. Comfrey is great off on it's own sprawling to it's
hearts content and not being expected to stay contained in anyway.

Vicki