pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Eden 0.1.3 release

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Eden 0.1.3 release
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:07:31 -0600

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:

> <snip>
>
> So I see. PFAF's tables are convenient and quick but I like having
> much more text description (and pictures?) accompanying each
> plant's record. Is there any way to give each plant listed in the
> search results a PIW Rating (like the PFAF Rating) which I assume
> is a system that rates each item returned in the search results
> according to how closely it matches the search string?

Actually Eden's output currently supports a tabled format as well as a
summary. It currently defaults to a summarized format, but this is
another option that can/will be set by user preferences. In the far
future, there will also be an option to include thumbnail images of
in the summarized format.

Until yesterday all search results were followed by a mysterious
number greater than 1 and usually less than 20. This is the score of
how well the result matches the search string. I removed it because
it wasn't very helpful without some kind of identification. There is
also a PFAF usefulness rating (1-5) for each plant which isn't
displayed (another preference possiblity). Ideally results would be
sorted by score and then by rating... or maybe add rating to score or
something ('Prioritize useful plants' in preferences).