pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Industrial Ecology for the Disbelievers

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Industrial Ecology for the Disbelievers
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:53:51 -0800

Chad Knepp wrote:

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> Stephanie Gerson wrote:
> > ANOTHER REMINDER:
> > DE-CONTEXTUALIZED): "Just get people started expounding on their
> > favorite plants and their favorite gardening and farming
> > topics..."
> > I was talking about getting people/piw users motivated to create
> and upload PLANT AND RELATIONSHIPS information. You have to get
> them interested in DOING that. They are not going to be out there
> waiting in the wings to do your bidding at your pleasure when you
> snap fingers and say OK folks time to get busy and send us all your
> data. Don't you get it? Its a two way street. Everyone needs to
> derive something for themselves out of this project.

Well, I think the content provided by PFAF is a huge incentive to
contribute. It's useful now. As I've said before, my inspiration for
working on all this came from lurking on the permaculture list where
people did expound on their favorite ideas. Great info that promptly
got lost. Hmm, if only there was a way to save and index all that
info...

Ah yes, and all those online list archives, wikis, blogs, websites and
archives of text files,
html, graphics on PC on people's computers; all that saved list email in
folders,
all those collected bookmarks......

PFAF and PIW shoud be inspiration enough but some folks will need a little
more encouraging.
I would imagine many academics would feel inspired to contribute
significantly, personally
while others might seek funding for theeir own projects just to collect and
prepare data to upload
to PIW (hadn't thought of that one before but this might be worth pursuing -
promoting PIW to
botany, biology, agriculture, horticulture and landscape architecture &
gardening curricula on
campuses around the US and eventually around the world.